As per the requirements of the health conditions of the patient,panchakarma treatments shall be recommended as in-patients. Panchakarma,or “five therapies” is Ayurveda's primary purification and detoxification treatment.These five therapies include:
- 1. Vamana (Therapeutic Emesis)
- 2. Virechana (Therapeutic Purgation)
- 3. Anuvasana (Medicated Oil Enema)
- 4. Asthapana (Medicated Decoction Enema)
- 5. Nasya (Nasal Insufflations)
According to Ayurveda, treatments are of two types - Samanam and Sodhanam.
Samanam is the method by which vitiated doshas are brought to a balanced state through fasting,mild exercises and internal administration of medicines for the deepana and pachana.Shodhanam is believed to impart radical elimination of disease causing factors and maintain the equilibrium of Doshas.Panchakarma increases the acceptability of body to various therapeutic regimens like Rasayana (Rejuvenation) and Vajikarana (Aphrodisiac).
Methodology of Panchakrma:
Prior to Panchakarmas the body need to be prepared well for the channelisation of vitiated doshas for expulsion.This is called ‘poorvakarma’.This is done by providing ‘rookshana’ and later ‘sneha sweda’ to the body.
The ‘Poorvakarmas’ involved are:
- UDVARTANAM, or powder massage using medicated herbal powders. These are applied directly over body and massaging is done.
- DHANYAMLA DHARA - the process of pouring a special preparation called dhanyamlam prepared out of fermented rice and other variants of rice.
- ABHYANGA: a process by which body is anointed and massaged with oil.
- PATHRA POTALI SWEDAM [ILA KIZHI]: The body is massaged with oil followed by bolos bag massage with medicinal leaves is called ela kizhi.
- CHOORNA PINDA SWEDAM [PODI KIZHI]: Powders made from various herbal parts are made into bolos and used for massage.
- SHAASHTIKA PINDA SWEDAM [NJAVARA KIZHI] : special type of rice called njavara is cooked with a mixture of herbal kasayam and milk.the bolos bag containing medicated rice is dipped in the mixture containing decoction and milk and mada warm and used for massage.
- PIZHICHIL: the process of pouring lukewarm medicated oil over the body in a rhythmic manner along with gentle massage for a certain time.
- DHAARA : It is the process of pouring any fluid over a part[praadeshika dhaara] or whole body[sarvaanga dhaara].
- Taila dhaara using oil,takra dhaara using butter milk,kasaya dhaara using decoctions are also practised here.
- Apart from these,we provide other treatments like sirodhara,sirovasti,akshi tarpanam,putapakam,karnapooranam etc.